« Home | Guess What I Did Yesterday?? » | 27 Is Just A Number » | Yet Another Countdown » | Counting Down » | My New Bestfriend » | Texas is THE Champion! » | Getting Back to Normal » | Greetings from Brownsville » | Season Greetings! » | 'Tis The Season »

Happy Chinese New Year!


Today the Chinese community all around the world celebrates the Chinese New Year, and the celebration will go on for 15 days. This is to commemorate the beginning of a new lunar calendar year, and to also mark the beginning of spring, therefore also known as the Spring Festival. It is the year 4703 in the Chinese year, and it also known as the Year of the Dog!

Chinese New Year is also a time for families to get together for a reunion, just like what Western families would do during Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's very special and festive. However, for the past 7 CNYs (including today's), I've been away from my family and home. And I hadn't really had the opportunity to celebrate with any Chinese families around here in order to continue the tradition. But now that I'm married, I've felt an even greater urge to continue this tradition and to include Josue into this special part of my culture and identity. So this time around, I invited close family friends of ours, the Laws, to join us in a CNY dinner. It wasn't fancy and very casual (the traditional dinner is very elaborate with massive amounts of food), but it meant tons to me that they were with us. Kyna and I grew up together while her parents were missionaries in Malaysia, so she knows and understands some Chinese traditions like the Chinese New Year. Heck, she's practically Chinese! Thanks so much for coming, you guys. It was tons of fun and indeed a very special evening.

We had so much fun. . .between Kendon's fits and Dakota's ramblings! I'm so glad you invited us! We love hanging out with you guys!

hi debbie,
cheehoe here. Guess what I have a blog too. way long before yours hahaha...

just went over to your parents' for a Nyonya style dinner. Was nice catching up. Saw ur wedding photos... wow, inspiring!

GOng Xi Fa Cai to you and Josue.

aren't you malaysian....not chinese??? you don't see me celebrating boxing day.

That's a good point, Juice. Foolish, you will get beaten by Debbie for it, but you know its coming. Way to go!

Yup, it's definitely coming your way, you smarty brat. :)

Post a Comment