« Home | The Bible Code--My Question for the Day » | Improvement to the Treehouse » | Little joy » | Oh by the way, Happy St Patty's Day!!! » | Smelling the pot roast..mmm.... » | Empty » | 'Tis the season of blessings and love » | Star Wars » | This is too much work! » | Try Out »

My 1st Blood Donation Experience

Yesterday afternoon Josue and I went to our church Skillman's blood drive. Mind you, I was never able to give blood back at ACU because I wasn't eligible due to one reason: I left the country too often (you know, with me going back home to Malaysia for vacation and such). So this time I knew I could more than likely donate blood since I haven't been home for 2 and a half years. We arrived there, walked into the Rotunda (one of Skillman's many meeting areas) and there was a rather decent size crew consisting of 5 nurses, a couple of booths, snacks & drinks (for you to have after you give blood) and 4 chairs for us to lay back on while we're giving blood. They kinda look like lawn chairs, the ones by the swimming pool, except they're propped up on a higher level. And of course, they had other medical equipments laying around the room. ANYWAY, the sight of the nurses started making me nervous. I'm usually not afraid of needles or the mere sight of blood, but I sure had butterflies in my stomach this time around. Meanwhile, my dear husband was making some funny remarks and jokes. You know how sometimes people start saying silly things when they get nervous? Well, that was how he was.

We had to fill up some paperwork and then individually go through a short process of interview with a nurse regarding health issues and such. Then they pricked our fingers to get blood samples. That hurt like crazy, even Josue jumped out of his chair! Hehe...We passed the interview with flying colors and then went to lie down on the chairs to start giving blood. My nurse was Monica, and she was somewhat nice, but her lack of enthusiasm and smile definitely didn't help put me at ease with the entire process. Josue's nurse Jenny seemed to be a lot nicer and friendlier, and I wanted her as my nurse instead! Sigh, I was being such a baby. When Monica brought over the needle to prick into my arm to start drawing blood, I took one look at the needle and told myself to shut my eyes. The needle was HUGE!!! I thought this was how it was supposed to be, but even Josue and Adam (who have donated before) said that the needles they used were unusually larger than usual. I thought I could've fainted there and then, and it hurt quite a bit when she first inserted, but after that was over with everything else seemed dainty. I gave one eighth of my life away, but it felt good to know that my blood could possibly help someone in need in the near future. I did a good deed. =)