« Home | The Aftermath of Thursdays » | One Year Ago » | Tag, I'm It! » | Am I Still Here?! » | Sunday Afternoon Fest » | All The Latest Happenin's » | "Zhong Wen" » | Josue's Back! » | ..Through Sickness and In Health... » | 50 Things You Never Wanted To Know About Me: Finale »

48th Birthday


August 31st is the day my home country Malaysia celebrates its independence day every year. And the country is into its 48th year this time. The celebration is usually very festive-like and the main event goes on in Kuala Lumpur, the capital city at a place sort of like the Time Square in New York City. It's nothing like the 4th of July here, but still very colorful and very patriotic, mutually celebrated by people of all the different races and ethnicities alike. When I grew up at home, I never thought much about August 31st, but since I left home, I've felt a bigger sense of national pride. I appreciate my home country more and I am proud of where I come from and what I represent.

So "Selamat Hari Merdeka" everyone!

*this means happy indepedence day in Malay*

Thanks Scott, that's really sweet!! I think this would count as you being partially Malaysian since you're 'connected' in so many ways. =)

I miss home! :(

Hey, don't you guys have friends in New Orleans? Are they ok?

Sarah, I know what you mean! =(

Yeah, our friend Jeremy is from there, in fact his parents still live there. They live in Covington actually, which is outside of N.O. His mom evacuated to Miss. while his dad (who is a photographer with the newspaper there) actually stayed behind before, through and after the hurricane hit to take pictures for the paper! We finally got to hear something from him today via a blog comment.

I might actually blog more about this whole thing. There is much more on my mind.

Post a Comment