« Home | Tag, I'm It! » | Am I Still Here?! » | Sunday Afternoon Fest » | All The Latest Happenin's » | "Zhong Wen" » | Josue's Back! » | ..Through Sickness and In Health... » | 50 Things You Never Wanted To Know About Me: Finale » | God's Cooking » | Who...Me? »

One Year Ago


This is the "I Am The One" award. The name was tacky, but the honor was priceless. I was the "Employee of The Month" at the front desk of the Renaissance Dallas Hotel exactly a year ago. The way you got this was by nominations from fellow colleagues and supervisors, and the fulfilment of other job requirements. Apart from this plaque, I got a special designated parking spot of my own (didn't matter since I never went to work with a car) and a $100 gift certificate to the hotel's top-notch steakhouse called T-Bones. I took Josue and our dear friend Tim there, so they can tell you how excellent the dinner was. We actually ran up the tab to more than $100 and we were ready to take care of the difference, but the hotel went ahead and took care of the rest for us!

Do I ever miss my job? Yes, for the following reasons:

~The opportunity to work with some of the greatest and smartest people in the hotel business.
~The diversity: I worked with people from all over the world. It was awesome!
~The close interaction I had with my guests and the ability to make friends with those business people who stayed every week at the hotel.
~My colleagues, some of whom I was particularly close to.
~The employee discounts that my family, friends and I got to enjoy while staying at other Marriott properties.
~I was constantly kept busy and required to multi-task all the time.

But then again as I ponder over this more, I have even more reasons to NOT miss my job:
~Having to be at work by 6:30 am every morning and then the occasional evening shift where I'd have to work till 11 pm.
~Having to work on weekends. If I wanted a weekend off, I'd have to put in a special request that might or might not be taken into consideration. Yeah, we had a weekend rotation, but it never went through properly.
~Missing out on church on Sundays and other church-related activities.
~Missing out on hanging out with my friends on Fridays nights since I'd have to go to bed early.
~My sweet hubby would have to take me to work EVERY SINGLE TIME, be it morning or evening shifts.
~The ugly uniforms that I had to wear. No, I do like uniforms, but not the ones we had. Ugh!
~Having to deal with demanding guests, especially businessmen (and women) and those obnoxious NFL football players (I'm not saying specifically WHO).
~Having to work with some incompetent and immature people who thought they were 'all that'. And for some strange reason, management wouldn't get rid of them. I never understood that.
~Josue and I never had much quality time together. He always had me as the 'leftover' because by the time I returned home I'd be so emotionally exhausted.

Based on this last list, perhaps I don't miss my job that much afterall. I wouldn't trade my experiences at the hotel for any other in the world, but I've been moving on since, and just letting God lead me to my next path. It was great while it lasted, I guess. =)

In different situations, I SO relate to your gripe about immature and incompetent people who get all the kudos in the world even though you KNOW they don't really know what they're doing and haven't really even done that much!

I'm still excited to hear about your future plans...

TV Squad
We had news the other day that Martha Stewart's daughter Alexis will be on the show, now comes word that the theme song for the show will be Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics.
Hey, you have a awesome blog here! I will certainly visit your site again ! I have a top health products reviewed site. It certainly encompasses much that tallies with top health products reviewed material. If you have the opportunity, please come and check it out.

Ugh, I got spammed again!!

i think I've gotten the worst of the worst spam. OK. I'm retarded, remind me again what you're doing, because for some reason, I thought you were still working at the hotel.

Haha..you're not retarded, Rachel. You've just haven't been keeping up with the times. J/K!!!

I quit the hotel job back in January. My work visa had expired and now I'm working on permanent residency. In the meantime, I'm helping out Josue with his insurance business.

Post a Comment