« Home | One Year Ago » | Tag, I'm It! » | Am I Still Here?! » | Sunday Afternoon Fest » | All The Latest Happenin's » | "Zhong Wen" » | Josue's Back! » | ..Through Sickness and In Health... » | 50 Things You Never Wanted To Know About Me: Finale » | God's Cooking »

The Aftermath of Thursdays

I'm feeling some painful sensation of muscles in my back that I didn't even know existed before. My right arm feels like it's about to dislocate out of the shoulder joint. And the muscles in that arm are screaming 'bloody murder'. On top of all that whenever I walk, my legs feel like they're failing me. Yes, my body is protesting today, but to me, this feels good and liberating!

In case you hadn't caught on to where I'm heading with all this (plus the obvious picture above), I'm playing softball with my church. We're joining a tournament organized by the Dallas Church Softball Association and our first co-ed game is on September 8th. We've been practicing since last Thursday and will have one more next week before we actually play.

Before all this I had no prior knowledge about softball/baseball. I've played catch, but that's about all the experiences I've had. Oh yeah, and maybe once or twice of an actual game back at ACU. But none of this were enough to build a lasting impression in my mind about the game. Watching either one on TV is also a big blur to me. And good luck trying to explain how either game works. I'll just give you a blank stare. That is my history with softball/baseball. (Notice how I'm also somewhat tying both sports as one? I think they're the same, with just a tiny bit of difference. Am I wrong to assume that?)

But after these past 2 Thursdays of practice and much tips and advice from the pros (particularly thanks to Zach Nieland, Rob Singleton and Rick Stevens), I'm actually getting it this time, and I believe it will become a more permanent imprint in my mind since I'm really starting to get how the game works. I've been improving on my batting, catching and running the bases, the tough part is trying to figure out what everyone else is doing and being observant about what's going on around me. The dynamics and rules of the game is still rather confusing to me, but I think I'm starting to understand the basics, thanks to yesterday's drill. I was placed at 2nd base and at the rate the guys were going (yeah, they split up the group and I was the only girl in my group!) I had to make myself learn pretty quick. Overwhelming, but it sure felt good knowing what was going on! I'm not that clueless anymore, and I'm actually starting to appreciate the sport more.

Go softball and go Skillman!