« Home | Birthdays and Such » | All In One » | A Sleeping Phenomenon » | Curse of the Phone » | Let's Take A Moment... » | Blog for the Sake of Blogging » | The Big Seven » | Heart of Gold » | Summer Cold » | Nothing But Them »

Tough Nut

We lost yet another softball game yesterday. When we started off in the beginning, losing was bearable. But after 4 games and a streak of losing later, it's really becoming annoying, at least for me. I know I've done mistakes that have cost the team, but come on, there are other players on the team whom I know can make up for that but yet aren't performing up to their standards. Actually I do have to give ourselves credit last night because I think we played a lot harder and better than previously, but we were 'jinxed' in some way or another. And yours truly got hit by the ball, AGAIN, this time behind my leg. I'm just thankful that it wasn't as bad as the other lady from the opposing team who got hit directly on her back while she was running from 2nd to 3rd base. It wasn't a pleasant sight and she was obviously in pain, but she continued playing afterwards.

Yeah, yeah, this is a church league and we play for the purpose of having fun and having fellowship together with fellow Christians. But I'd be lying if I said that I was playing purely for fun. Despite the fact that half the time I'm in limbo about the game and just do whatever the coaches tell me to do, there's still that competitive blood within me that can't be surpressed. It annoys me when we lose, and I hate myself even more when I make silly mistakes.

I swam all throughout my school years. As you know, swimming is very much a individual sport, unless you swim in a relay event. But most of the time, you're on your own and you swim to get the best timing possible. I'm used to that. That's how I was brought up. But I rarely compete in a multi-player team sport. (Except those times when I competed in intramural waterball back at ACU and one time almost drowned a Delta Theta opponent twice my size because of my "wanting to kick Delta Theta's butt" attitude.) So perhaps this is what I'm learning from this softball experience. It's not just about winning (although most of the time I still think it is), but it's also about team-effort, encouraging one another to do their best and understanding that each individual is a crucial element to the team as a whole.

Now let's just hope I can go back out there into the field next week and have an overall better attitude....

You need to have this conversation with Scott. Ask him about his church softball team!

It's all about the fun though. . .right? It's good fellowship

debbie debbie debbie....haha. i can't believe you said that other people can make up for you. this is softball..it doesn't work that way. at some point YOU'VE gotta get up there and hit..its just you and the pitcher, no one else. and its the same when they hit it to you. just you and the ball. this is where the old saying the team is only as strong as its weakest link rings true. not saying you are it, just saying.

that said, i've played in these leagues a few times and i NEVER win. i can't quite figure out why, i think its a combination of factors...just not sure what those are. cept for church league youth group softball...we masacred everybody. i think its all about line drives and good pitching (the higher you throw the harder it is to get good contact). i could go on, but i won't.

once my church league basketball team got in a fight with the other team. hahaha

hit too many fly balls your dead where you stand! make them get you out! hit it on the groud! poke it down that 3rd base line and make them make a play. 6/10 times they can't handle the pressure.

Post a Comment